Tuesday, July 15, 2014

When Champs and Camps Collide...


I'm typing this one-fingered on my phone while I sit in the Alltech Arena at the Kentucky Horse Park waiting for the opening ceremony of the 2014 USPC National Championships. I don't generally like ceremonies of this type, and I'm feeing hot, cynical, and tired. But I wanted to share this photo with you.

It's my daughter and her horse at the first jog this afternoon. They're competing on a novice event team. You can barely tell, because of her pinney, but the shirt she's wearing is actually part of the official uniform from the 1998 World Equestrian Games. It was formerly owned and worn by an eventer you may have heard of, one David O'Connor. (Okay, maybe since you're my friend you haven't heard of him. He's the USA's only individual gold medalist at my sport, eventing, and he's currently the USA Team Coach.)

Every year at O'Connor Camp we have a team Jeopardy competition. I'm usually damn good at it, as it draws upon both my native competitiveness and my ability to retain arcane bits of information.
Alas. My daughter is even more competitive and arcane then I. And this year the prizes were really awesome: she won that shirt.

She wears it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments on this blog are now moderated. Yours will appear provided it's not hateful, crass, or annoying--and the definition of those terms is left solely to me.