Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Today My Boy Comes Home!

Actually, probably not technically today: the plane carrying him and his father is scheduled to land at our local airport at 11:42.  It'll probably land early--the last plane usually does--but they'll have to pick up luggage and then drive home, which will likely put them through the door just after midnight.

I'll be waiting.

It's my son's fall break from his freshman year in college.  It's not like he's been off to war.  Still, I keep wanting to quote Bert Le Clos, whose son Chad beat Michael Phelps to take the gold medal in the 200m butterfly at the London Olympics.  I'd seen Bert on BBC, and thought he was British, but it turns out he's South African (the accents are close).   (At least, Bert's was.)  Live on TV, with tears in his eyes, he kept looking down at his son and saying, "He's so beautiful.  Oh, look at him.  My beautiful boy."

I won't be crying when my son comes home.  In fact, I'll probably be asleep on the couch.  But when I wake up, the first thing I'm going to think is, oh, my beautiful boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments on this blog are now moderated. Yours will appear provided it's not hateful, crass, or annoying--and the definition of those terms is left solely to me.