Thursday, May 8, 2014

Giving Away The Store

The Ancient Egyptians believed that at the entrance to the underworld, after a person died, their heart was removed and weighed against the Feather of the Truth. Only if their heart were lighter than the feather were they allowed through. A jackal stood nearby to devour the heavy-hearted.

I've been working all week at Bristol Faith in Action. Toni Nohre, our program director, is on vacation, and now that she's been gone a week those of us attempting to do her job think she deserves a big raise. It's been a hopping place here this week, and yet, admit the chaos and desperation, I've found unexpected dollops of joy.

This week I've broken all sorts of rules and given away money with wild abandon--because I had to. Also because we had enough money that I could. And so we were able to get the electricity turned back on for a widow who was on home oxygen and had gone the weekend without it. We were able to help a young mother get her two children away from an abuser. We kept a family with an infant and a medical crisis from being evicted from their home.

I don't tell you all this because I want praise. After all, it's not like I'm giving away my own money. Our income comes from our member churches and local donors. I've telling you this because it's a privilege to be able to do this work. It's a privilege to connect with the people of my town. I feel grateful that I'm here this week, and my heart is growing so light I feel I could fly.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you can do this and grateful for all the others who make it possible, too.

    ReplyDelete

The comments on this blog are now moderated. Yours will appear provided it's not hateful, crass, or annoying--and the definition of those terms is left solely to me.