Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Summer-go-Round

I'm home for three days.  Sunday night (11:30 pm, seven hours late) we got back from Ireland; Thursday morning (7:30 am) my daughter and I pull out the drive for the Pony Club East Coast Championships.  I arrived home to find one of our large beech trees--probably 250 years old, though we won't know for sure until we cut up the trunk--down in our yard, courtesy of some violent storms that hit Bristol while we were gone.  We also lost half a peach tree and some trees in the walnut patch.

I'm ambivalent over the loss of the beech tree.  On the one hand, it was a lovely tree, and I quite liked it.  On the other hand, it'll cut up nicely into three or four excellent cross country jumps, replacing all my old jumps (from a beech tree that fell ten years ago) which are decaying into little piles of sawdust.  They're still jumpable, but they're pretty wiener jumps now.  The new beech tree looks set to give us at least one solid Training level jump (3'3").

An astonishing number of things absolutely have to be accomplished in these three days, which is why I spent half an hour this morning online looking at the trailers for the movie Catching Fire.  Which comes out November 22nd.  You know, priorities.  I do plan to get busy really soon.  I've had a bunch of highly erudite, thoughtful, and socially meaningful blog posts running around in my head, with no time to type them down, but you won't be getting any of them today.  I did however find a really excellent link I wanted to share, which explains some of what I meant in my post about Trayvon Martin, better than I could explain it.  Here.  I strongly encourage you to read it.

I have a real job, too, despite all my recent gaity; it's sitting on my desk beneath the piles of bills, marked up in blue pencil, waiting.   I'm thinking about my book all the time, even though I'm not writing it.  Can't decide whether or not it would be worth taking it to Championships with me.  On the one hand, I'll have quite a lot of free time.  (They won't let me bring my horse to Championships, to mess around with.  I asked.)  On the other hand, I'll be at Championships.  Maybe I should just watch the children compete and remember how lucky I am to be able to watch them, how lucky I am in general.

Meanwhile my son starts college a month from yesterday, and my daughter starts her sophomore year in high school a week from tomorrow.  Summer has gone so fast.  I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.  I always am caught by surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments on this blog are now moderated. Yours will appear provided it's not hateful, crass, or annoying--and the definition of those terms is left solely to me.