Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Hello Again

 I've been wanting to get back to the blog for awhile now. In some way it's connected in my mind with moving on from the pandemic--I think because during the pandemic there was a lot I didn't want to talk about. My family were all safe, and things were tough, but not nearly as tough as they were for a lot of people. I don't think we'll ever get a straightforward ending to this thing, but I'm travelling again, and my kids are back to mostly normal lives. My Facebook memory today was from three years ago, NCTE, the very last book conference I attended (after a couple-year span when I went to a TON of conferences); in two weeks, I'm going to my first live school event since then. I'm pretty excited.

Meanwhile I just joined Hive Social, a group like Twitter but without Elon Musk. I enjoy Twitter because I get to interact with a lot of my fellow kidlit writers there, but I hate Elon Musk, and today I realized that "I hate Elon Musk" was sufficient reason to join a different community. I am friends with 3 people on Hive so far, all of them writers, so if you're there please friend me so I can find you. 

Yesterday in the World Cup, the United States tied Wales 1-1. Not a great showing, not an awful one. I watched hoping to get a glimpse of my son, who's a strategy manager for the US Soccer Federation--business strategy, not game strategy--and who is in Qatar to help run things for our team. We love a lot of sports in this country but soccer is the global game--just before the opening kick yesterday two men came to install my new dryer. They were speaking Spanish to each other. I showed them the photo my son had just texted, of himself and his fellow employees at field level, and the two men grinned and told me their team, Ecuador, had beat Qatar the day before. 

In other news: I have a book coming out in three weeks: She Persisted: Rosalind Franklin, about one of the co-discoverers of DNA. I'm working on the book that will come out in spring 2024. It's coming well but doesn't have a title yet--it did have one, but that's been scratched. It's about history and ghosts and I quite like it.

My horse threw a shoe on the opening day of deer season, colossally bad timing given that my redneck farrier takes the whole first week of deer season off. The horse--her name is Rosalind Franklin, after the scientist, I got her right after I signed the book deal--one thing that happened during the pandemic is that my horse Sarah sliced her leg open in the pasture and did survive, which was by no means certain, but isn't really rideable anymore--anyhow, Rosie, the horse (the real Rosalind Franklin HATED being called Rosie, but the mare rather likes it) is very attached to me and was very, very angry that I was gone most of November. When I came back we had one ride in which she was righteous and dramatic and wanted to run hard and jump big things, and I, who'd been mostly sitting on boats for two weeks, did not, and then she threw the shoe and now she's blaming me for it. 

I was in Peru. Peru is worth a lot of blog posts. I'll get to that. Meanwhile, good to see you all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments on this blog are now moderated. Yours will appear provided it's not hateful, crass, or annoying--and the definition of those terms is left solely to me.