Friday, June 26, 2015

Rainbows Over Washington!

I am way, way behind on my blog. I've spent the last week either looking at east coast colleges with my daughter or driving a crap rental car back from Massachusetts after the Atlanta airport bolluxed my flight plans, and I've got a whole list of blog posts lined up in my head. I haven't even written about my heartbreak over Charleston.

However, today I'm at my mountain house. I got up this morning and went to take a yoga class; on my way out, walking through the main fitness center, I glanced up at one of the televisions and saw that the Supreme Court has just declared same-sex marriage legal nationwide.

Wow.

I expected it. I would have been shocked if it hadn't happened. Yet at the same time I'm sort of shocked that it did happen, that the fight for marriage equality really has been won, right now, at this moment in my lifetime. I can't stop thinking about all the people I know who will be affected by this--people who have been together for years but never allowed to marry, teens who are years away from marriage but who will now grow to adulthood knowing, always knowing, that it's possible for them. Friends. Family. Loved ones.

Love won. Love won today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments on this blog are now moderated. Yours will appear provided it's not hateful, crass, or annoying--and the definition of those terms is left solely to me.